Is Qt4.5 required for trunk now?

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Mon Feb 9 21:28:29 GMT 2009

On Sunday 08 February 2009, Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> On 07.02.09 17:25:06, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > That's wishful thinking.
> > >
> > > The moment that people start developing with Qt 4.5, those kinds of
> > > changes will creep in. Even unintended, people will write code that
> > > depends on the 4.5 behaviour and the bugfixes present in it.
> >
> > Indeed. Besides that, some of the hacks that have been removed actually
> > break things on Qt 4.5 (because they relied on bugy behaviour in Qt 4.4),

Can you detect at runtime which version of Qt it is and then use one or the
other path ?
(...without looking at any code)
This could then also make KDE 4.2.>0 work with Qt 4.5.

> > so it's not as easy as just reverting them...
>
> Then maybe we should (in the future anyway) simply update kdelibs
> requirement when qt-copy is updated to a new (non-bugfix) version and more
> importantly also announce that requirement change?

Yes, and please also announce it before it is actually required, so people
have some time to update, instead of suddenly being forced to rebuild qt.

Alex