Speeding up i18n

Randy Kramer rhkramer at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 12:55:16 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 05:42 am, Chusslove Illich wrote:
>  on my 2 GHz AMD Athlon XP machine
> (average machine in 2004).

Hi!  Thanks--this gives me an opportunity to ask a few questions that
I've been wondering about (I may not get them answered, on the other
hand, maybe they're even answered on a web page some place).

Starting slow:

   * is that really the average machine in 2004, or is that more like
the average/typical *new* machine in 2004?

   * (does anybody have any idea what the average machine is today (or
was in 2004) "worldwide" (i.e., considering the places were (some
people, at least) would like to target for Linux adoption?)

   * does KDE have a target machine they design for?  (I mean, like,
they expect acceptable performance (for some definition of acceptable)
for machines with X MB of RAM, Y GHz, and Z GB of hard drive (as well
as some spec on the video performance)?

Thanks!
Randy Kramer
--
I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I created a video
instead.--with apologies to Cicero, et.al.