Speeding up i18n

Chusslove Illich caslav.ilic at gmx.net
Tue Feb 3 10:42:11 GMT 2009

> [: John Tapsell :]
> Has anyone looked into speeding up i18n calls by generating the string
> hash at compile time rather than at runtime.

Do you have a real-life situation where they are too slow?

For an average message (~40 chars, no placeholders) i18n can now deliver ~50
kmsg/s (kmsg/s = 1000 messages per second) on my 2 GHz AMD Athlon XP machine
(average machine in 2004).

If that is not good enough, then it's certainly not hashing that should be
improved, as raw Gettext call (which does the hashing) delivers >1000 kmsg/s
for the same message/machine (no, no extra zero here).

--
Chusslove Illich (Часлав Илић)