using gettext for .desktop translations

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Sat Dec 12 11:59:45 GMT 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 12:11:25PM +0100, Chusslove Illich wrote:
> >> [: Chusslove Illich :]
> > [: Oswald Buddenhagen :]
> > i don't think the problem is any different, from, say, icons. or the
> > desktop files themselves. so, either install the .mo files into a common
> > directory, or add the path to the usual xdg path.
>
> On the conceptual side, I don't think this is acceptable. What you say is
> that two versions of application cannot coexist and be properly translated.
> This would be fine if two versions of application could not coexist at all,
> but this is normally not the case and would be considered a bug if so.

huh? you're effectively questioning the entire xdg dirs concept.
it isn't much of a difference whether the conflics come from only icons
and desktop files or also other data files (i.e., translations). the
solution has always been installing into a separate directory and adding
the paths to the environment, according to precendence preferences.
really, no big deal here, afaics.