using gettext for .desktop translations

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Dec 11 19:22:55 GMT 2009

On Friday, 2009-12-11, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> On Friday 11 December 2009 16:48:38 Pino Toscano wrote:

> >  general for any XDG menu implementation. This is als why IMO having
> >  translations in .desktop files (not DE specific) is a good solution so
> >  far.
> > And if the application does not use gettext at all for its translations
> >  (for example with Qt-only or Java applications)?
>
> I don't see why they would want to parse the menu structure of the DE, but
> if they do I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be able to use gettext.

I don't think it is solely about the launcher menu.
An application could get the name of a desktop file as the result of a query
for the default handler application. Or it could implement an "open with"
application selection using .desktop files found in XDG specified locations.

All frameworks have native methods of reading text files, most even of parsing
INI-style files. I am not sure Qt or Java have native support for gettext.
Probably not even through well tested extensions, e.g. Qt Solutions.

Cheers,
Kevin

KDE user support, developer mentoring