Review Request: Quit Eventloop before emitting finished and result signals

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Dec 9 15:57:00 GMT 2009

On 09.12.09 11:56:39, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 December 2009 05:22:09 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
> > On 08.12.09 23:22:35, Raphael Kubo da Costa wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 11 November 2009 16:38:42 Sebastian Sauer wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe this commit is causing bug 217836: basically,
> > > d->eventLoop::quit() is called inside KJob::emitResult(), however the
> > > slot connected to the result() signal is called long after the method
> > > which called KJob::exec() finished, thus causing a segfault because the
> > > slot tries to access data that's no longer present.
> > >
> > > If I use my own QEventLoop instead of calling KJob::exec() or revert this
> > > commit, the segfault doesn't happen.
> > >
> > > Am I doing something unusual here?
> >
> > Sounds to me like you want to disable auto-deletion of the job because
> > you need it around for longer than just the execution time.
> >
> > Andreas
> >
> Why? Wouldn't it then be the case for any method that connects to a KJob's
> result() signal and starts it with exec()? I was expecting that deleteLater()
> would be called only after my slot had finished executing.

deleteLater() is called once the inner event loop is exited. However your
description sounded as if your connecting the result signal to a slot via a
queued connection (you said the slot connected to the result signal is
called long after...). So its no wonder that in the meantime the outer
eventloop executed and deleted the KJob. This matches the backtrace in said
bugreport which shows that the slot is being called from the main
applications event-loop. So if you want to access the job after the exec()
method fininshed, you have to disable auto-deletion.

Andreas

--
You never know how many friends you have until you rent a house on the beach.