signalling suspend/resume events (deviceKit-power)

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Tue Dec 8 19:25:31 GMT 2009

On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 16:57 +0100, Anders Lund wrote:
> Dan Nicholson skrev:
> > Dan Williams really wanted the kernel to send a resume event so we
> > could get rid of the broken NetworkManager dbus-send signaling from
> > pm-utils. Maybe this would work.
> >

> Why is that broken? And it is a (blocking) method call, or is that the broken
> part? From a user perspective, it appears that networkmanager disconnects
> before the suspend, and connects after the resume.
>
> In any case, the best/safest/most correct solution is of course preferable :)

Not necessarily the /kernel/, but something like DK-power/upower that
handles the policy.  The point was more to make NM aware of
suspend/resume so that we can do more intelligent things with it,
instead of having scripts somewhere else poke NM in response to random
events.  The other issue was the dbus for a long time was broken and
short-lived dbus-send invocations would get lost in the bus.  This has
been fixed since July of this year in dbus though.

It just seems like a cleaner model if NM is the thing that listens for
the event and responds to it, since NM knows what it needs to do for
suspend/resume.  Instead of having all the scripts that handle
suspend/resume "over there somewhere", disconnected from the thing
that's actually performing the actions.

Dan