Backwards compatibility of kdelibs/experimental

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Dec 8 15:08:43 GMT 2009

 Hello,

 I have a question of about backwards compatibility of KNotificationItem and
kdelibs/experimental in general and I don't mean just API. API is simple,
there is no guarantee, but I don't see anything about the rest in
http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/New_KDE_Library_API_Policy .

 For example, KNotificationItem from 4.3.x does not work in 4.4.x workspace
(the D-Bus name has changed). Fortunately, there is still the old systray
mechanism, so there's no big loss of functionality as long as the old library
is still around. And yes, there are apps outside of KDE SC that use it.

 Is it acceptable that something like that no longer works, and regardless of
the answer, could it be added to the wiki page?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz