signalling suspend/resume events (deviceKit-power)

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 14:47:40 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 08 December 2009 15:32:52 you wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 15:12 +0100, Dario Freddi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 December 2009 14:55:42 Anders Lund wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I would like to request a DBus signal notifying interrested parties
> > > about system suspend/hibernate/resume events.
> >
> > I second his request (I'm the maintainer of the power management KDE
> > daemon). Just clarifying, we're interested in having signals both upon
> > suspension AND wakeups.
>
> Do you want to be able to halt or interrupt the state transition?

I don't see any use cases at the moment for that, so from my point of view not
- I would just be interested in getting a wakeup signal to notify the
workspace of that. Although, it could be interesting to have such a
possiblity, but I would first check if anybody is really interested in that.

> > Moreover, it would be nice (given also the discussions about
> > suspend-hybrid in the list) to have somehow a notification of the fact
> > that the PC is getting from the suspend to RAM to suspend to disk state.
> > I'm just future-proofing here, though :)
>
> Right now that will be rather tricky to arrange in general --
> suspend-hybrid does different things depending on the lowlevel tools you
> are using.
>
> Userspace swsusp and tuxonice both create a hibernate image and then
> enter S3 instead of powering off, so the way they "transition" from
> suspend to hibernate is by running out of battery.
>
> Arranging to signal what sleep state the system is waking up from is
> easier to from a pm-utils standpoint -- will that do?

Yes, it could - however, the pm-utils+upower stuff is a confusing me a bit -
will one depend on another or something like that?

If upower in the end came up depending on pm-utils and most of all, if pm-
utils would actually guarantee a mean of API/ABI stability, it would
definitely fit.

But I think a better idea would be having the signal being streamed from
upower (since if the aim is providing an unique and future-proof system),
triggered from an hook in pm-utils. I think such a solution would be the best
of both worlds.