Animated labels and progress bars in Oxygen considered harmful?

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Thu Dec 3 10:42:50 GMT 2009

On Wednesday 02 of December 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Hugo Pereira Da Costa a écrit :
> > Hi Aurelien, others,
> >
> > So after some discussion with Nuno (my favorite artist, to whom I
> > usually turn in case of conflicts and doubts).
> >
> > From the discussion it turns out that if you want a somewhat animated
> > desktop, IMO (or rather IOO -our opinion), QStyle is actually the right
> > place to implement it (rather than custom widgets, or extended widgets),
> > because it ensures consistency across applications, while letting this
> > to devs on an App by App basis would lead to a mess (that we have been
> > seeing in old windows versions, and in some kde apps already.)
>
> I see your point. I agree implementing all animations on an app by app
> basis is not the right way to go. I don't like how this is done however.
> Unfortunately I do not have a better idea for the time being.

 I might. Reading your original post, it reads to me a bit like "for whatever
reason I decided to roll my own tooltips and my custom solution breaks
because my one QLabel is handled as one even though I'd like it to be handled
as two". So, if you really can't do anything about the first half, how about
if you tried to do something about the second half and used two unrelated
QLabel's if you want them to be unrelated? Just an idea.

> Well, if you are looking for me, I will be in my widget workbench,
> hammering a widget to fit my needs :/

 Oh, the joys of coming up with intricate workarounds.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz