The shared-desktop-ontologies mess

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Tue Dec 1 19:54:01 GMT 2009

On 01.12.09 20:23:23, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> kdebase here still doesn't build for me without SDO.
> We have the following in kdelibs/CMakeLists.txt:
>
> set(SOPRANO_MIN_VERSION "2.3.70")
> find_package(Soprano  REQUIRED COMPONENTS
>                       PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND)
> macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_FOUND "Soprano" ... FALSE ... )
> macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_PLUGIN_RAPTORPARSER_FOUND ... FALSE ...)
> macro_log_feature(SOPRANO_PLUGIN_REDLANDBACKEND_FOUND ... FALSE ...)
>
> macro_optional_find_package(SharedDesktopOntologies)
> macro_log_feature(SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND ... FALSE ...)

> if(Soprano_FOUND AND SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND)
>   set(HAVE_NEPOMUK true)
>   add_subdirectory(nepomuk)
> endif(Soprano_FOUND AND SHAREDDESKTOPONTOLOGIES_FOUND)
>

> Which means that soprano and SDO are considered optional in kdelibs and
> nepomuk is only built of both are present.
> But then in kdepim the installed nepomuk files are used, which then fails:
> http://my.cdash.org/viewBuildError.php?buildid=39649
>
> So, am I right that both soprano and DSO should be marked as hard dependencies
> for kdelibs ?
> Otherwise everything which wants to use nepomuk from kdelibs needs to check
> whether the installed kdelibs has nepomuk actually.
>
> So, ok, with making it required ?

Actually no - IMHO. Nepomuk is still marked optional in kdepim in most
parts, so kdepim needs to adjust their buildsystem to really make it
optional. Then they can propose making nepomuk and SDO a requirement for
KDE 4.5. Its far to late in the cycle to change dependencies every other
day.

Andreas

--
Your motives for doing whatever good deed you may have in mind will be
misinterpreted by somebody.