KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Aug 30 21:02:24 BST 2009

On August 30, 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Many people will want to start using the new animation API. The performance
> improvements are going to benefit KDE, obviously.

to add to this:

* we have a GSoC branch of libplasma that relies on the animation API already

* some of the performance improvements require work in our code (e.g. QPointer
-> QWeakPointer)

* there are deployments that will be going with KDE 4.4's release that could
greatly benefit from 4.6, in some cases rather dramatically.

* distros are likely to ship Qt 4.6 anyways; pragmatically, we can either test
our stuff heavily against Qt 4.6 or we can turn a blind eye to it and hope it
works out. when Qt 4.5 was released it didn't work out at all: several crashes
and misbehaviors in plasma-desktop were the result and hit our users directly
and first. some fixes required changes in Qt which left more people high and
dry for longer.

if it's a matter of our release schedule and Qt's being 2 weeks mis-aligned
this time around, i'd personally sooner see us add 2 weeks to our own schedule
and get a combined Qt 4.6 + KDE 4.4 out there in Jan/Feb 2010.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se