KDE Trunk based on Qt 4.6

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Sun Aug 30 17:01:57 BST 2009

On Sunday 30 August 2009 16:49:55 Christoph Feck wrote:
> Am Sunday 30 August 2009 15:15:33 schrieb Alexis Ménard:
>
> If the bugs/regressions in Qt 4.6 are fixed long enough before the KDE 4.4
> feature freeze, this discussion might eventually make sense again. IMO KDE
> trunk can not require Qt 4.6 at this point in time (yes, I try origin/4.6
> from git daily).
>
> Regarding bug reporting, there is no "Qt 4.6 snapshot" or similar entry on
>  the web bug report form. How should regressions be reported? Reporting
>  bugs via IRC only works for "thiago business hours" (that is 24/7), but
>  unfortunately he can only help with "core" stuff. The regressions are in
>  GUI stuff mostly.
>
> <ignorethis>
> ...snip...
> </ignorethis>

IMO, even if painful, the move should be done as soon as possible. You will
remember that 'unpleasant' situation where Qt 4.5 was released and Plasma
developers told that the just released KDE 4.2 was broken with that.
This time it could be synergic.

From the technical side, hats off to the Animation framework. Simple and
powerful, once you get used to that, you can't go back.

About the 'bug reporting and solution' process: in the long run you can't have
two versions of qt (the Qt-Copy and the Official one) since distributors don't
know what tho choose, users won't install the same stuff twice and you are 1
more step away to get your changes into the mainline.
The merge-request solution avoids duplication and offers KDE the real
opportunity to improve Qt and get all the benefits from that.

Enrico

 Sponsor:
 Trascorri gli ultimi giorni di vacanza in compagnia di Riccione Turismo
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid”51&d0-8