KTimeChooser moved to kdereview

David Jarvie djarvie at kde.org
Tue Aug 25 14:56:46 BST 2009

On Tue, August 25, 2009 1:08 pm, Michael Leupold wrote:
> I just moved a new widget for editing times to kdereview: KTimeChooser.
>
> It is a reworked version of KPIM::KTimeEdit, basically a time editing
> widget
> with a combobox containing a list of predefined times (with configurable
> interval between them). It is meant to be used in places where the user is
> more likely to choose a time using the combobox than entering it manually
> (eg. when scheduling meetings which usually begin at :00, :15, :30 or
> :45).
>
> Other features:
> - Times can be entered and displayed using the configured time format
> - Additionally times can be entered in military (eg. 1830) or plain 24h
> format (eg. 18:30). Those times will be recognized and "localized" using
> KTimeValidator (private API).

Is it sensible to allow military or 24 hour time entry when the localised
time format is the 12 hour clock? This could lead to ambiguity and errors.
For example, if the locale is set to the 12 hour clock and the user enters
a military time of 1245, or 24 hour time of 12:45, how does the widget
know whether that should be interpreted as 12:45 in the afternoon
(assuming a military/24 hour time), or 12:45 in the morning (12.45 am ==
00:45) (assuming a 12 hour clock)?

There could be a rule that a lack of punctuation (entering "1245")
indicates military time, but the user might not be aware of this rule,
which would lead to occasional errors.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.