Integrate high privileges in KIO and GHNS

Nicola Gigante nicola.gigante at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 16:48:46 BST 2009

Il giorno 21/ago/09, alle ore 16:58, Jeremy Whiting ha scritto:

> On Thursday 20 August 2009 5:17:36 pm Dario Freddi wrote:
>
> I am the ghns (knewstuff2) maintainer, and this has been requested a
> couple/few
> times in ghns actually.  A couple ideas have floated around for how
> to show
> this to the user, one is that each install button could have an
> option to
> install to the whole system (which would then use KAuth I presume to
> check if
> it could perform the action, and do it via kio). knewstuff2
> downloads payloads
> into temp folder somewhere then extracts/copies the contents to
> where they are
> intended.

If so, the privileged action is the extract/copy operation from the
temp folder to the system-wide destination, right?
In this case, once implemented kauth support in kio, the
implementation in ghns will be very simple, if it uses kio for the
extract/copy operation. The ghns code won't even have to deal with
kauth, because everything will be handled by kio. The code should even
work untouched. The only thing to do is to modify the GUI to let the
user choose between per-user and system-wide installation.

> So basically, technically it should be possible, and is a feature
> that has
> been asked for by a few, if not many, people.  I do see this as
> being useful
> for school instances where each student or class or something has a
> separate
> login, but the teacher/administrator/whoever wants Step data files,
> available
> via ghns, to be installed for everyone to use or something.

Yes, I think it'll be useful, but most of all it's required if we want
to port the KDM kcm module to the new library, because it uses ghns to
download themes to system-wide locations.

> Jeremy

Bye,
Nicola