device-automounter moved to kdereview

Andrew Dorrell andrew.dorrell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 01:18:50 BST 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009 9:16:37 pm Will Stephenson wrote:
> On Monday 17 August 2009 10:40:21 Sven Burmeister wrote:
> > If multi-user environments are really that much trouble and not the
> >  exception to the rule of computer usage, then the solution would be to
> >  enable KDE to know when more than one user is logged in and suspend
> >  automounting only in that case by default.
>
> Optionally build device-automounter using ConsoleKit and automount only
> when the plug event arrives at the active local user's session (this is the
> assumption you currently have, don't automount if C-K is not available or
> otherwise.

The most common multi-user use case is now the one where multiple users are
logged in but only one user is active.  Quite different to *nix origins!
There is a dinstinct difference for the case of multiple simultaneous users
accessing a machine via remote consoles.  In this case the physical
circumstance suggests that none of them "own" the machine and that some sort
of extra priviledge would be required to mount or unmount devices.

In the single shared console case priviledge is inferred by being at the
console of the machine - being the active user.  Thus the most intuitive
behaviour is for the active user to "own" the system (context of automounting
at least).

As far as practical it should be invisible to the active user that any other
users are logged in to the machine.  This includes access to pluggable
devices.  Sensible protections are required.  The active user probably
shouldn't be able to eject media that another user has opened files for
writing on (or if they can the system needs to be able to deal with it
gracefully - this would be preferable IMHO).  But having to switch user just
to eject a usb stick stretches the patience of typical users (in my
experience)