KIO: Mass Copy of Files from Different Sources to Different Destinations

David Faure faure at kde.org
Thu Aug 20 12:27:59 BST 2009

On Thursday 20 August 2009, Dawit A. wrote:
> hmm... would this not mean that the "Direct" scheduling method that has
> been the default will go away completely ? In other words, there is no way
> to have a single job per single connection (read: ioslave) support anymore
> ? I am sure most application will remain unaffected, but if there are any
> applications out there that somehow relied on this behavior, then they will
> be broken, no ?

To be honest I don't really understand the benefit of "direct scheduling", or
the difference it makes to the application.
We always have a single job per kioslave, that's how kio works. At a given
moment, a kioslave is only handling requests for one job anyway.

AFAICS the difference is only between
"if no kioslave is idle, create another kioslave _now_ for this job"
and
"if no kioslave is idle, create a kioslave if possible (not too many
concurrent slaves) and otherwise wait for reusing one when it's available"

In all cases jobs are async anyway, so it's only about "not waiting much" (but
risking a "too many connections to this FTP server") and "maybe waiting a
bit", but then connection limits are honored.

I don't think we'd be losing or breaking anything, but maybe I'm missing
something.

Ah, one should check that "Connected" mode still works, of course.