API robustness - (was: Different ways to create a directory)

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Fri Aug 14 10:11:40 BST 2009

On Friday 14 August 2009 10:14:53 David Faure wrote:
> You can't solve every problem around the house with a hammer,
> there are different tools for different purposes.

True enough, but I don't think 5 different methods for creating a directory
are justified. Please note that the basic 'redundancy' with Qt cannot be
removed, since even if we had only one mkdir method we would have QDir::mkdir
and KFoo::mkdir (if that was the only mkdir method on KDE).

However, in this very case I think KIO, NetAccess and QFile are enough for
every purpose. If needed, they can be added flags.

I think I am going to create a techbase page for API users to write this kind
of issues, so we can get them fixed for KDE 5. I hope I can have enough time
for KDE 5, since this kind of things is one of my priorities...

And to sum up following your nice statement, the problem from my POV is when
you have different tools for the same purpose (creating a directory, after
all) ;)

Regards,
Rafael Fernández López.