RFC: A Qt-only library in kdesupport

Benjamin Meyer ben at meyerhome.net
Thu Aug 13 15:18:35 BST 2009

A bunch of good did come out of that :)  The biggest problem was the
fact that KDE3's KApplication was a beast touching everything so many
things coulnd't be Qt only because of that.  I spent several months
removing things one by one from it until I could run a kde app with
QApplication and not KApplication (see recent ml archive).  But just
doing that one cleanup took a lot of work, combined with the inability
to remove dead classes and the effort required for every change, and
the fact that kde4 didn't even work back than wore me down.

There are a several small Qt libraries out there these days and even
Arora has a folder of BSD licensed utility classes  (src/utils) that
are just Qt addon classes with no Arora dependancy and would probably
be useful for other applications (several have been copied into other
Qt apps in fact)
  http://github.com/Arora/arora/tree/master

A similar idea brought up at the time was to make little static
libraries in kde that wouldn't have to be BC until we worked out the
best api.  I still think that has value.  While I take time to make
the API good when a class is initially added to Arora's utils if it is
in the way of a fix/feature I can change it.

-Benjamin Meyer