liboxygenhelper?

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sat Aug 8 17:22:42 BST 2009

The code in kdebase/runtime/kstyles/oxygen/lib/
is currently used by kdebase/workspace/kwin/clients/{oxygen,ozone}
by means of a svn externals, since kdebase-runtime and kdebase-workspace
are independent.

In order to facilitate the move to git, I'm looking for cleaner solutions
for this code sharing.

kdebase/apps depends (on x11) on kdebase/workspace (for folderview);
but I assume kdebase/runtime cannot depend on kdebase/workspace, since
that would make every kde app depend on workspace, and we don't want that.

So I think there is only one solution:
making a liboxygenhelper.so, with the source code in kdelibs/oxygenhelper (*).
Or s/helper/private/ to make clear that BC isn't guaranteed and that nobody
except the widget styles and kwin clients from kdebase are supposed to use this.
Well, unless the authors want to provide this as public api but I guess not.

(*) It has to be kdelibs and not kdesupport because it depends on kdecore+kdeui.

Any comments or objections?