KNotificationAreaItem

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Apr 29 04:46:10 BST 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> specifically thinking the "the taskbar entry doesn't quite fit me for
> whatever reason, so I'll roll my own in the systray" mentality, which leads
> to all kinds of problems (inconsistent way of showing windows, the window
> titlebar close button not working consistently, etc.). Is there any plan to
> fix that?

with the new system there is no restriction on how the data is visualized or
how many visualizations there area of it, which opens the door in the future
to do things like merge taskbar and systray entries. the current assumption is
that a tray icon would need to provide an winId to accomplish this, but that's
reasonable and already allowed for in the spec.

the only thing currently missing to be able to do perfect task/systray icon
mash ups is sending menu entries across the bus to be rendered locally, which
would allow, for example, merging the context menus seamlessly and without
hassle.

but yes, this is indeed the sort of thing the new spec has been designed with
in mind.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se