Requiring KApplication because of installX11EventFilter (was Re: KModifierKeyInfo moved to kdereview)

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Tue Apr 28 14:28:58 BST 2009

On Monday 27 of April 2009, Michael Leupold wrote:
> Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:12:56AM +0200, Michael Leupold wrote:
> >> As far as I know new classes have to be used in 2 places in order to
> >> be considered for adoption. I'd like to ask for an exception to this
> >> rule.
> >
> > you don't have to ... just port kdm to use it. and when you are already
> > at it, you can implement changing the lock state if you haven't yet. :D
>
> Good use-case as well. Currently KModifierKeyInfo relies on
> KApplication::installX11EventFilter though which kdm currently doesn't
> provide but it should be possible to install it manually - I'll look into
> it.

 Wasn't the plan to make KApplication only some kind of an optional
convenience extra that is not required? My memory is a bit hazy on this and I
can't find it in the archives - does somebody remember?

 If that's the case, it should be instead implemented in Qt to have better
support for X11 event filters. Recently there was a similar problem in
kde-devel about KWindowSystem "not working".

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 028 972
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz