KNotificationAreaItem

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 18:37:25 BST 2009

On April 24, 2009 10:28:59 Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Friday 24 April 2009, Aurélien Gâteau wrote:
> > as someone who is now working for a distro, perhaps you could help raise
> > awareness of these issues as opposed to trying to get upstream to neuter
> > the user interface. :)
>
> Hehe, will think about it, but I believe the issue is still valid, even
> with good mouse support.
>
> >> One usually do not trigger mouse clicks accidentally because it's a
> >> point-and-click operation. Wheel-scroll is not: you just roll the wheel,
> >> thinking the mouse is still over the document you are reading. That's
> >> the whole point of mouse wheel: scrolling without pointing the cursor at
> >> the scrollbar.
> >
> > that isn't how wheeling has worked now or ever in x11. again, please
> > direct your energy to the right place.
>
> I do not understand what you mean. For me using the mouse wheel on x11
> (as on other os) means getting a page to scroll while my mouse is over
> the page, not over the scrollbar.
>
> >> When the mouse cursor slips out of the window, auntie Nora is helpless
> >
> > ugh, let's cut the "auntie Nora" crap. it's based an an ageist, sexist
> > and highly irrelevant stereotype. let's talk about HCI as a real topic.
>
> Auntie Nora is one of the personas we use at Canonical. We should
> probably move this discussion on the usability ML, but since I do not
> think you will change your mind, it's probably useless :(
>
> >> if the browser suddenly switches between tabs, or if the wm switches to
> >> another window/desktop. This is because mouse-wheel is expected to be a
> >> very easy-to-undo operation: if you roll a bit too low, just roll it a
> >> bit up to get where you want. Magical pagers and taskbars break this.
> >
> > "magical" pagers and taskbars behave identically; roll up a bit and
> > you're back to where you were.
>
> True for pagers and taskbars, false for desktop background.
>
> Additionally, when you  scroll a document you do not go for one-line
> scroll, which means if your wheel event get sent to the taskbar, god
> knows how many windows you skipped. You then need to do a very precise
> wheel movement to go back to your window because the wheel event sent to
> your pager or taskbar requires more precision than just scrolling a bit
> up if you scrolled down your document too much.

wait, how does an imprecise movement have to be reversed by a precise
movement? just move your finger back to where it was, then maybe adjust by one
click either way... I just tested, and twice I was able to scroll back to this
window without much thought. on a touchpad.

all I really wish is that my touchpad had a ridge so that I don't scroll when
i'm trying to move the mouse...
hmmmm. :) maybe I can *add* a ridge myself... a thin line of fabric paint
might work...

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com