KNotificationAreaItem

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Fri Apr 24 17:43:25 BST 2009

afaics his request went far beyond "don't use wheels on systray icons"

regarding that (and hoping i understood aarons proposal) there should be no
"mouse wheel" on no "icon" at all, because both are not assumable anymore.

--

you've got a client, a server and a protocol. the server signals the client an
action requesting input and the client reacts.

what actually triggered the input on the server and if it displays an icon at
all is then matter of specific implementation.

--

as for "sensible limits": i think there's none. you can just have "priority"

some apps won't make use out of more than one action at all, while others
might provide access to 15.
if you connect them to the actions in priority descending (and maybe
configurable to personal preferences) order, that's no problem at all.

e.g. for kmix
- #1 show simple mixer
- #2 show context menu (these may already be swapped by pers. pref.)
- #3 toggle mute
- #4 master volume up
- #5 master volume down (MW, press mouse and move, ...)
- #6 line volume up
- #7 line volume down (e.g. ctrl + MW)
- ....

the app and it's proxy are fully usable by one or two actions, but if the
client can make use, the server can provide and the user wants more, nothing
holds them back.
so why exactly should we artificially limit interaction to some arbitrary
degree?
i mean, it's not like auntie nora has to learn all the possible stuff or frag
2h a day to improve a mouse skills. (e.g. i can squeeze a document out of
LaTeX, but i'm not nearly half aware on one percent of all options...)

Thomas