Middle-click copy & paste is unreliable

Stefan Usenbinz usenbinz at gmx.de
Mon Apr 20 19:27:28 BST 2009

Am Montag, 20. April 2009 18:47:24 schrieb Parker Coates:
> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Middle click copy & paste has been unreliable for me since KDE3 IIRC, but
> > in KDE 4 it has certainly *always* been unreliable. Sometimes I mark
> > text, middle click somewhere else, and... nothing happens. Or maybe the
> > previous middle- click "clipboard" contents appear. This is really
> > annoying and it gives a bad impression especially when people are
> > watching you using KDE, say in a presentation. The bug seems to be
> > triggered especially easily when the text to copy is only marked for a
> > short time before trying to paste it.
> > I've reproduced this bug not only on my Kubuntu and Sidux systems with
> > KDE trunk but also on Suse 11(?) with packaged KDE 4, not necessarily the
> > standard packages though. It was not my computer.
> > I don't know anything about X clipboards so I'd like to ask all experts:
> > Why does it happen, and how can we fix it?
>
> Is Klipper running? Does changing whether it is make any difference?

I have a similar problem on Jaunty with Klipper running. Mark some text with
the mouse, try to paste: often enough nothing happens. Checking Klipper:
selected text does not show up there either. What so far always seemed to help
was to clear the Klipper contents and repeat. With an empty clipboard so far
copy&paste always worked. Since a few days I have now deselected "prevent
empty clipboard" in Klipper (which was on by default) and so far I think I
have not seen the problem again (this is one of the little annoyances I keep
working around more or less unconciously, so my memory might be a bit fuzzy).
Could all just as well be pure random coincidence.