RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Fri Apr 24 10:21:08 BST 2009

Hello,

On 2009 m. April 23 d., Thursday 23:50:46 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> svn location: extragear/libs/knotificationitem
> headers: $INCLUDE_PATH/knotificationaitem-1/
> lib name: $LIB_PATH/libknotificationitem-1.so
> namespace: Experimental::
>
> release of tarball done prior to kde 4.3.
>
> will most likely be removed post-4.3 and rolled into kdelibs. if not,
> changes will results in a s,-1,-2,g to the above and another release.
>
> objections?
Why do you insist on creating shared libraries? If ABI is unstable, create
static libraries instead (or at least make it an option). Static libraries
will ensure that:

1) use of the library is not widespread. It is experimental after all.
2) developers do not have to deal with sonames, abi and other versioning
nonsense when there is no intention to keep ABI stable (your goal should be to
develop a stable API/ABI, not to keep library experimental forever).
3) it's bad from security support POV, but if 1) is met, it may be more
acceptable than suffering from constant ABI brekages.

What's more, I recommend to create a new module in trunk/KDE/ for this.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>