RFC v2: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Apr 24 08:36:30 BST 2009

Sune Vuorela wrote:
>On 2009-04-24, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
>> 2) please don't use libknotification-1.so, use libknotification.so.1
>
>Yes. this. and proper change .so.1 to .so.2 (and the SONAME as seen by
>the linker & friends)

Actually, I think libknotification-1.so.X is the best solution.

That allows me to have two versions of libknotification installed and
developed against. It's not hard to imagine that an API breaks but isn't
final yet, but existing applications may not have been ported yet to the
new API.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358