RFC: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library .. where?

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Thu Apr 23 22:12:49 BST 2009

On Thursday 23 April 2009 20:49:39 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Thursday 23 April 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
> > and the headers? that's really my big question. protecting symbols is
> > easy, a policy on where to put such headers is less clear to me.
>
> Maybe install them to share/something/ and require apps using them to copy
> them into their build dir at build time ?
> (uh, oh, that sounds ugly...)
> Or install them as a .tgz ?
> (so the apps can't just do -I<prefix>/share/something/ )

That won't solve the issue that upgrading kdelibs (using a package manager)
will remove the .so files, and so break any applications using the library.

Installing the headers is fine, as long as the library is in a separate
package (from kdelibs).

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett