RFC: adding a temporary, non-BC gauranteed, 'private' library .. where?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Apr 23 07:49:53 BST 2009

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>On Wednesday 22 April 2009, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
>> But Aaron seems to want to install the headers of
>> libknotificationareaitem.
>
>correct; it's either that or copy the header[1] to each app that we port
> until it's in kdelibs.

If you do that then you only have two choices:

1) static library
2) don't ever remove it

And in either case, you have to put the headers in the same place as kdeui
(i.e., future compatibility) and you have to use a hidden namespace to
avoid conflicting with the symbols when it does make its way to kdeui (à la
Animations Solution).

Or you can make it a private library again like Animations Solutions.
Anyone wishing to use it simply copies the code into their applications
and uses it.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358