Review request: network:/ kioslave now in kdereview

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Apr 22 08:04:54 BST 2009

On Wednesday 22 April 2009 01:02:26 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> Now the network kioslave (and partially the network library) should map the
> physical world as much as possible, with all the devices and services. The
> main purpose is discoverability of what there is around the computer and
> object-oriented access to it. Without having to know too much about the
> technology.
>
> So if your mate connects her device to the same network, you will see the
> device in the list*, you can select it in the list and browse the services
> available on it. Now she wants to share her screen with you, starts the
> vnc/rdp service. The service appears as new service of the device on your
> screen, you click on it and have the handler for that type of service
> automatically started, without needing to search for the vncviewer program
> in the menu. Without needing to know about the way that service is found by
> your computer system. Because you should not need to.

OK, that's the two points I indeed missed. Thanks for the clarification.

Once it's ready it might be the time to at last kick a few ioslaves out of our
modules (remote:/ included, which BTW was never intended for displaying
anything else than the "bookmarks", but I let the patches in because of user
requests, and is much older than the places system of Dolphin... hope that
helps understand why it's an odd-duck now in the KDE4 world).

> Now, could this help a little to understand what I would like to achieve
> with this work?

Definitely thanks.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."