Review request: network:/ kioslave now in kdereview

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue Apr 21 11:21:19 BST 2009

Hi Kevin,

Le mardi, 21 avril 2009, à 09:15, Kevin Ottens a écrit:
> On Monday 20 April 2009 19:15:24 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > This kioslave lists the network from a device centric point of view,
> > listing all devices in the (for now) local network and the services
> > running on them.
>
> Sorry, maybe I'm not done waking up yet but there's something I fail to see
> with this new ioslave. How does it relate with the set of ioslaves we have
> right now (remote:/, zeroconf:/, smb:/)? To me it seems like together
> they're providing the exact same feature set but in a more modular way, I'm
> not exactly sure which gap you're trying to fill with this one.

Sure, forgot to add a motivation part, my mistake, will give that a try
tonight.

For now just see it as a merging of all the different service discovery
system, so the user does not need to know about these technologies. It also
should map the physical world as much as possible, so the concepts people
have and objects they see are represented on the screen, in an
object-oriented style. (like: Joe plugged his computer into the network, it's
there on the screen, now let's see the services on it and, there it is, the
shell access. Click.)

Cheers
Friedrich
--