KNotificationAreaItem

Alex Merry kde at randomguy3.me.uk
Mon Apr 20 22:10:21 BST 2009

On Monday 20 April 2009 19:11:38 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> * to port a number of KDE apps to the separate and non-BC guaranteed
> libknotificationareaitem library for 4.3 and ship libknotificationareaitem
> separate from libkdeui; we would like to have a full release cycle of
> application developer feedback and user experience where we can adjust the
> API as needed.

Given that you aren't guaranteeing to maintain compatibility with the protocol
between 4.3 and 4.4, can I suggest a "version" method (similar to the one in
Mpris, but possibly without the need for a special type) so that various
components can choose not to speak to other ones that only know a different
version?

I can just see all sorts of havoc if there are subtle semantic changes in the
interface and you run an application compiled under 4.3 (with
libknotificationareaitem) under a KDE 4.4 session.

Alex

--
Why have I got six monitors?  Because I haven't got room for eight.
  -- Terry Pratchett