Review request: network:/ kioslave now in kdereview

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Mon Apr 20 18:15:24 BST 2009

Hi,

I just moved the network:/ kioslave to kdereview/networkkio. It should be
stable and quite usable already. The destination module might be kdenetwork.
Urs, would that be okay?

This kioslave lists the network from a device centric point of view, listing
all devices in the (for now) local network and the services running on them.
A kded module triggers KDirLister refreshes on network changes, so any views
are up-to-date. Service items can be clicked at and will forward to a
matching url. Additionally it could be possible to assign other handlers for
the mimetypes of the services/devices.
Dolphin and Plasma folderview will need some better support for non-file
listings, as can be seen by this kioslave. Will discuss this the next days,
as this also hits exising kioslaves.

No docs, as it is a kioslave. Only tested on Linux. Krazy complains dealt with
a few hours ago, should all be met, but then I changed quite some code today,
too.

More information:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdereview/networkkio/README?view=markup
http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/02/13/browse-your-network/
http://frinring.wordpress.com/2009/02/18/feedback-for-the-network-kioslave-please/

Another text, which did not make it to the last Commit-Digest, will be posted
in my blog tonight. I just have to hurry now :)

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE 4 Hex Editor - http://utils.kde.org/projects/okteta