Middle-click copy & paste is unreliable

Andreas Hartmetz ahartmetz at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:05:50 BST 2009

Hi all,

Middle click copy & paste has been unreliable for me since KDE3 IIRC, but in
KDE 4 it has certainly *always* been unreliable. Sometimes I mark text, middle
click somewhere else, and... nothing happens. Or maybe the previous middle-
click "clipboard" contents appear. This is really annoying and it gives a bad
impression especially when people are watching you using KDE, say in a
presentation. The bug seems to be triggered especially easily when the text to
copy is only marked for a short time before trying to paste it.
I've reproduced this bug not only on my Kubuntu and Sidux systems with KDE
trunk but also on Suse 11(?) with packaged KDE 4, not necessarily the standard
packages though. It was not my computer.
I don't know anything about X clipboards so I'd like to ask all experts: Why
does it happen, and how can we fix it?

Cheers,
Andreas