trunk

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Apr 17 00:25:44 BST 2009

On Thursday 16 April 2009, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> It isn't the problem of the user not finding it, I don't want to leave
> a user stranded because of a duff module.

i see .. well, there are a few kinds of possible causes of failure that i can
think of:

a) a view plugin that doesn't list that entry; that would not be the ones we
ship and would obviously be a bug. i don't see many view plugins appearing in
the future, so i doubt quality control of this sort is an issue worth
compromising the UI for

b) the .desktop file for the configuration panel is missing or broken, but
that would be a broken installation like any missing dependency

c) no plugins load successfully -> well, not much can be done about that even
with a configure button

d) the plugin loaded actually crashes; but then not having a configure button
will only matter if the crash occurs when opening the configure panel. a crash
at start or module load == fail no matter where the config button is

d) ..?

are there others? none of these seem at all to be normal cases, and using the
UI space for the common case would seem to make more sense?

if the plugin itself doesn't load (doesn't exist, , that's something easily
caught and dealt with by falling back to a different plugin. so no big deal
(just a few hundred wasted ms) ...

the possibility that a third party module might not show any/all modules
certainly exists, but seems so amazingly remote .... then again, it may be the
_intention_ of this module to do exactly that for reasons of vendor
customization.

> >> I will look into some form of a delayed loading mechanism, not
> >> creating the widgets will probably produce the desired effect.
> >
> > yeah, most likely.. that's where the bulk of the time was spent in the
> > profiling i did..
>
> This has now been implemented, although a small amount of widget
> initialization must still occur so that the control center can connect
> to the views ModuleView.

very nice :) it now starts very quickly indeed ...

btw, why is Quit in the toolbar?

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se