Important Strigi milestone. Need feedback from devs of apps using Strigi and Nepomuk.

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 20:00:18 BST 2009

Hi guys.

During 2008 Xesam hackfest in Berlin it was decided that Xesam 2.0 would
become an extension of Nepomuk as opposed to being developed from scratch.

Essentially, Xesam 2.0 becomes a bleeding-edge Nepomuk with extensions often
making it back into vanilla Nepomuk and provides a set of dbus interface
standards and other technical specs which affect actual implementation on free
desktops.

The end result is that it would be possible to make rich metadata-aware
applications which work on both popular dektop environments.

This is the first step towards this goal.

Libstreamanalyzer is about to be converted to output data using Nepomuk
ontologies instead of Xesam 1.0 ones.

Damage assesment:

This affects external(plug-in) strigi analyzers and apps which use nepomuk,
who previously had to deal with a funky mix of nepomuk and xesam 1.0
ontologies.

In most cases the changes require a simple search & replace of property and
class names. We will do our best to transition everything we find in KDE SVN
repo.

For end-users this update would trigger complete reindexing of file metadata
due to ontology incompatibilities.

Would be nice to do this on Patch Monday.

-- Evgeny