Some shortcuts of kate view should be available in standard shortcuts menu

Damien R damien.rg at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 18:30:10 BST 2009

2009/3/31 Andreas Pakulat <apaku at gmx.de>:
> On 30.03.09 18:18:04, Damien R wrote:
> The patch is incomplete, at least selectCharBack is missing from
> kstandardshortcut.cpp. Also you're not setting existing default shortcuts from
> kate in genshortcuts.cpp for some actions, for example SelectCharForward.
> Last but not least there seems to be to many changed lines in
> kstandardshortcut.cpp, there lines marked as changed which aren't (except
> maybe for whitespace) so please clean that up a bit making sure your editor
> doesn't fix whitespace at end of file or indentation automatically. That
> also seems to break the table-alignment in that file.

Thanks for the remarks, I'll send a new patch.

2009/4/1 David Faure <faure at kde.org>:
> Can you explain the use case?  Who uses anything else than Shift+Left
> to select one character to the left?
I do not want to move my fingers off the touch typing position.
Shift+Left is a tricky example, because it is useless. But, "go to
beginning of line" is better ; I never want to use Home because I have
to do extra effort to catch it.

In general, I think it is a bad idea to make some assumption on key
bindings. Now, some applications use the Windows shortcuts so new
users are not lost. But some users (like me) prefer using other
shortcuts. Moreover, users can have different keyboard layout so
shortcuts which are good for someone can be bad for others.
To conclude I think there should be experiments to find better
shortcuts (like dvorak for keyboard layout), but shortcuts should not
be defined by a key but by a position (because keyboard layout can
vary).