KAboutData vs. KPluginInfo

Andreas Pakulat apaku at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 00:35:18 BST 2008

Hi,

I'm wondering which of the two a plugin in kde should fill. If one fills
KAboutData by setting up an instance when creating the factory all kinds
of good things are possible, like doing a nice grouping in the shortcuts
dialog.

OTOH KAboutData is not needed for a plugin to exist, but the information
from KPluginInfo, fed via its .desktop file is vital. And KPluginInfo
provides some of the same data, in particular there's a name, there's a
comment/short description. There's an author (not sure wether a list is
allowed there), the license and a version number.

I'm against duplicating this information, so I'd like to know wether a
plugin in kde should just fill the bare minimum in the .desktop file and
the rest in the about data, or wether the about-data should be
automatically filled by KPluginFactory from the .desktop file? Whats the
"bigger plan" here?

Andreas

--
You'll be sorry...