Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Thu Sep 11 03:32:44 BST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 September 2008 02:35:53 Mauricio Piacentini wrote:
> > Agreed, but how to force them to fix the bugs?
>
> There is no way we can force developers to do anything. But we can try to
> make it easy and rewarding to do so.

I am pretty much super-late to this discussion but I think this is one of the
points to the summer-in-trunk proposal:

If releases are to come from a "winter" branch then you must not only work on
developing your feature in the spring/summer branch, but you must then
stabilize it to permit it to move into autumn/winter branches.  Otherwise that
shiny new feature you made will never be seen in an actual release.

Right now it is sufficient merely to merge it to trunk during feature
development phase and postpone stabilization to the freeze (which means
stabilization is not guaranteed).  If you don't/can't stabilize your software
and no one else does then either the release will have bugs or (preferably)
someone will notice and revert the feature if possible.

This relies on there actually being a barrier between developing in a summer
branch and getting it to "autumn".  It can be a social barrier where
developers are expected to not merge new features that aren't to that level of
quality, or it could be something that requires review (although that has
obvious scalability issues).  It could be different between modules (i.e.
review required for libs but not apps).

Even if we don't actually implement this new development plan I think it is
good that we start thinking in terms of ensuring quality in more detail than
"freezes can only improve quality of code".  i.e. what processes can we do to
improve quality, and of those processes, which are practical to implement
without squelching development?

In that regard I like the season-themed branches idea although I would like to
see the details fleshed out on how we handle merging code from spring ->
summer -> autumn -> winter branches.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne