Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Sep 10 10:22:55 BST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 20:54:22 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> Right now, having the boring work, i.e., making it into a release, depends
> on you also participating in the stabilistation phase, trunk-is-always open
> rewards the opposite: have fun. do cool stuff, never care about integration
> or stabilisation, just blog and be famous.

It's supposed to be the other way round. Currently, the only fairly hard
policy is 'don't break the build in trunk', but it's OK to commit unfinished
features there. Only for larger chunks of code, there's a review process in
place (through kdereview, meaning "if people are quiet for two weeks, or
nobody cares to review your code, it'll go in unreviewed" -- not ideal if you
want to prevent regressions -- often it doesn't even make sense to review
what's in trunk (at least you never know, because it's OK to commit unfinished
things into trunk). At freeze time, nobody cares about reviewing it anymore as
it's in for some time already.

With the new model, we'd have stricter rules to commit to trunk ("no
regressions", has to be "ready", <more>) so you'll get the "if you want it
merged, you need to finish it (and preferably maintain it forever)". That way
you discourage the antisocial behaviour you're describing. This effect is
actually pretty common in Free Software projects. Once your code is in, the
motivation to polish it decreases.
--
sebas