Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Sep 10 00:57:57 BST 2008

On Wednesday 10 September 2008 00:36:34 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> the social dynamic of "making releases rock" must be retained no matter
> what.

Yes, that's a very important point. We need a culture centered around
releases. We already have this to some degree, but we always have struggled
to get enough momentum behind it, always had a shortage of people working on
stable branches. It's understandable because for releases you have no choice
than to finally address the remaining problems and decisions which are not
fun, but maybe we can make this more attractive by stressing the reward of
doing releases which is the fact that code actually gets to the millions of
users we reach with KDE.

In order to achieve this, I think we have to make sure that two aspects are an
essential part of our release and development process:
- The goal of writing code is to get it released. Released code is what
matters. That's where the credits should go and what makes up what KDE stands
for.
- Everybody should care about releases. There is no unstable feature
development only. Developers should see their code through all stages of
development.

> and how would you envision marble working with the new scheme? (seriously:
> if the new scheme was adopted, what would you do with marble?)

That's an interesting question and I would love to see other subproject's
scenarios with the proposed scheme as well.

> (e.g. let's stop talking in general terms about possible this and possible
> that and start talking about our experiences right now, today with our own
> real projects. note how i've been talking about Plasma, Thiago about Qt
> ...)

Yes, that's a very good approach.