Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Sep 9 23:31:06 BST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> extragear and all the third-party apps which are maintained outside of KDE
> we have a model which allows for a huge amount of diversity.

extragear proves the point, not the exception: extragear has extra flexibility,
follows their own release schedule ... and several of our MOST successful
projects are there.

they do have release schedules ... well, sort of for some of them ... and the
quality is neither higher nor lower there.

meanwhile, those of us working in mainline modules enjoy all the restrictions
for no real benefit.

> Of course there are limitations and tools which could be better, but I
> think it's very important to recognize the value of what we have right now,

we have is certainly valuable. there are probably more valuable ways yet. or
maybe not =) either way ....

> and there are a lot of details which have developed over the years, but are
> easy to overlook when only thinking about the big picture. Changing a
> development model can do a lot of harm and alone the fact of changing
> something is a disruption to many contributors.

changing SCMs is something that scares me. changing the development model less
so because the proposed model can be treated exactly like the current one if
anyone chooses to. forced disruption should be nominal, as our current model
is a specialization of the proposed model.

> So I would be much more happy, if the discussion would be lead from a point
> of view that we have a great development model which has proven itself and
> was adapted over the years, and we look how we can iteratively improve it
> even further.

that's exactly where i'm coming from. what we have is good, but it's not
perfect. there are things to learn and keep from it, and there are things to
improve on if we so choose.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se