Change release schedule 4.2 and schedule for 4.3

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Mon Sep 8 19:41:30 BST 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008 20:08:50 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

> i'm increasingly viewing development-tied-to-resleaes as a stupid idea but
> it's the reality we deal with for 4.2 and probably 4.3.

I hope that people don't forget that developing without releasing is just
nothing, not even stupid. The whole point of developing KDE code is to get it
released at some point in time (and preferably often and early as it has
proven to be essential in the open source development process).

Summer feelings are nice, but we are working on software used by millions of
users who are looking forward to bug fixes and new features after all, not on
the KDE version of Duke Nukem Forever.

> we can discuss 4.3, but IMHO 4.2 is a closed topic.

I agree with that. Changing the already fixed plan for the next release is an
absolute no-go in my opinion. One of the most important aspects of a release
schedule is to provide predictability to developers, packagers and users. We
really shouldn't change that.