Fwd: Community patches and bugfixes to Qt?

Philippe Fremy pfremy at kde.org
Mon Sep 8 10:02:35 BST 2008

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> We're exchanging our current Priority system for a User Pain-based
> prioritisation of tasks. Instead of trying to guess a number from 1 to 5,
> which varies a lot depending on the person doing the scheduling, we'd
> instead have 3 evaluations:
>
>  * what kind of problem is it? (Minor annoyance to crashes and
> regressions)
>  * how many people are affected by it? (one one-license client to
> thousands/millions of people)
>  * how likely is it to hit this particular issue?

I am a bit surprised that you don't take into account the "easyness" of
the bug resolving. If you get a bug report from a high class contributor
(let's say a core KDE developer), along with a patch that fixes the
problem, it's worth applying it quickly.

But since KDE has millions of uses, it probably already gets a high
priority based on your ranking, doesn't it ?

The most important request I've seen so far, is that people that report
a problem, along with deep analysis and patch to fix it should not be
treated as the less knowledgable developers that report "damn it, it
does not work". Is there anything going into that direction for the new
system ?

	Philippe