Moving PowerDevil to kdereview

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Sep 4 19:24:21 BST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 4. September 2008, um 18:59 Uhr, schrieb Sebastian Kügler:
> On Thursday 04 September 2008 15:18:09 Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > > The core is the KDED module. Polling was removed thanks to a system
> > > that sets the polling time to the next upcoming idle event. Every time
> > > the polling function is called PowerDevil calculates the minimum time
> > > for an idle event to come, and sets the timer accordingly. For example,
> > > in a scenario where you have a lot of events in a small amount of time,
> > > PowerDevil polls the system every minute. For detecting system
> > > activity, it uses the same grabbing system used previously in
> > > KDE4Powersave.
> >
> > Please tell me where I am wrong:
> > So this is a per-user/session demon, right? But shouldn't this be a
> > per-system demon? How are things supposed to work if two or more users
> > are logged in at the same time, perhaps even running different
> > environments (KDE3, KDE4, GNOME, ...) which all try to react to system
> > changes?
>
> This one is covered by Solid and ultimately HAL, no? (I'm assuming that
> powerdevil only offeres the options that it's allowed by the capability
> checks, as indicated in the Capabilities tab, just like the shutdown
> options in the ksmserver logout dialog).

This code looks like the PowerDevil demon acts itself as events handler:

--- 8< ----

PowerDevilDaemon::PowerDevilDaemon(...)
:        m_notifier(Solid::Control::PowerManager::notifier())
{
    connect(m_notifier, SIGNAL(buttonPressed(int)),
      this, SLOT(buttonPressed(int)));
}

void PowerDevilDaemon::buttonPressed(int but)
{
    if (but == Solid::Control::PowerManager::LidClose) {

        KConfigGroup *settings = getCurrentProfile();

        if (!settings)
            return;

        switch (settings->readEntry("lidAction").toInt()) {
        case Shutdown:
            shutdown();
            break;
        case S2Disk:
            suspendToDisk();
            break;
        case S2Ram:
            suspendToRam();
            break;
        case Standby:
            standby();
            break;
        case Lock:
            lockScreen();
            break;
        default:
            break;
        }

        delete settings;

    }
}

Cheers
Friedrich
--
Okteta - KDE Hex Editor, coming to you with KDE 4.1