Moving PowerDevil to kdereview

Dario Freddi drf54321 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 10:59:46 BST 2008

Il martedì 02 settembre 2008 09:05:45 Aaron J. Seigo ha scritto:

> On Friday 29 August 2008, Dario Freddi wrote:
> > The KRunner is also stable and functional.
>
> the runner will run into problems if anyone decides to create another
> runner that also has change-scheme as a keyword. what i'd instead suggest
> is a simple language that goes something like:

> e.g.:
>
> power scheme home
> screen brightness 90
>
> internally, it won't be a lot different from what your runner is already
> doing, but the language will seem a lot more natural. you can also
> translate those strings, of course.

Ok, I will fix this today, thanks for the hint.

> > the Plasma Engine
>
> this really ought to be merged with the Power Management DataEngine that is
> already in kdebase; that one also provides charge and AC power status, but
> also things like supported sleep states.
>
> this means it's lacking PowerDevil's DataEngine profile management feature,
> but that would be a perfect compliment to the existing PM DataEngine.

Agreed, and I was thinking about the same thing.

> > The code has no Krazy issues, compiles with no warnings and it's fully
> > i18n'ed. I'd like to move it to kdeutils trunk, if approved. It still
> > needs
>
> i'm not sure it belongs in kdeutils. i certainly don't want the battery
> widget to depend on having kdeutils installed; the current one is in
> kdebase/workspace. this really feels a lot more like workspace stuff to me.

I really don't know what would be the difference in putting it in workspace,
anyway, this is not a problem to me.

> > an usability review, a native english speaker's review of strings, and
> > some help on the Plasma applet.
>
> what problems did you run into? it seems nothing is really being done with
> the PowerDevil data source (m_availableProfiles and m_currentProfile)?

Well, I'm not so good with Plasmoid so the code has really few PowerDevil-
specific stuff. I am meeting ruphy this week, and we'll mostly talk about
PowerDevil, so we'll probably work on the Plasmoid too.

> looking at the applet, it really looks like we should just patch the
> existing battery applet in kdebase ... probably makes a lot more sense. it
> also means that even if PowerDevil is put into kdeutils, everything will be
> fine, the applet will just miss some features. (i'd still like to see this
> in workspace, myself)

Yeah, I think this is the right way to go. In the end, probably PowerDevil
should keep the KRunner, the KCModule, and obviously the Daemon in the main
package, while the data engine and the Plasmoid would be merged into already
existing components.

> also, in Plasma we try and keep "brand names" away from the user in the
> user interface if there are plain language terms for things. so instead of
> showing things like "Configure PowerDevil" (to which many users will ask,
> "what's that?") it should probably say something like "Configure Power
> Management"

I had this thought too, I'll change this in the .desktop file.

> i'll leave it up to others who know more about powermanagement bits than i
> do whether the PowerDevil daemon is suitable for moving into mainline KDE,
> but if it is, i'd really like to see the PowerDevil Plasma related features
> follow the above suggestions. i'm willing to help out with that, of course,
> and the good news is that aside from the runner the other components won't
> be PowerDevil specific and you'll have others to help you maintain them
> over time due to that =)

This is great news indeed, and I think your suggestions are definitely the
right way to go. Thanks for the hints, I'll commit what you pointed out in a
short while.

Dario