Encoding problem in the file ioslave

Jason Stubbs jasonbstubbs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 2 08:05:04 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 3:45 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:

> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> >The clean solution I'm thinking of
>
> Read: I've just thought about it. Timeframe is therefore Qt 4.6, which is
> about a year away. By then, the UTF-8 conversion will be 6 years old or
> more.
>
> This is the kind of bug I'll try to ignore for long enough and see if it
> resolves itself without code.

Not very likely, unfortunately. A zip file created under Japanese Windows
Vista still uses Shift-JIS encoding for filenames. Even if ark handles this
under KDE4 (does it?) the CLI unzip utility certainly doesn't. But that's
just an example of how a common user might end up with non-UTF8 file names.
The issue of not being able to handle file names with an invalid encoding
will continue to be an issue until invalid encodings are prevented by the
file system interface itself...

--
Jason Stubbs