Tagging kdesupport projects

Sebastian Trüg strueg at mandriva.com
Mon Sep 1 09:24:34 BST 2008

On Friday 29 August 2008 01:46:53 Allen Winter wrote:
> On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:50:29 Michael Pyne wrote:

> > > ?
> > > That does not make sense for me. Soprano in trunk is not stable, thus
> > > no release. Why do we need a tag for trunk?
> >
> > He means KDE trunk.  i.e. what released version of Soprano is required to
> > build KDE trunk?  If there is no released version (for example, if your
> > answer is "build kdesupport trunk!" :) then you need to make a release,
> > even if it's just "this is a snapshot and will eat your babies" release.
> > Also please make a tag for said release so that it can be copied later to
> > a kdesupport "needed- for-kde" tag (probably with a better name but
> > whatever).
>
> Basically, I'd like the code in kdesupport to start behaving like real
> software projects. just like any other.  with real releases and  real
> announcements, etc.
>
> At some point you need to make a Soprano release, tag it, release it into
> the wild.
>
> So.. it would be nice if you could tag a stable Soprano and then announce
> it to kde-core-devel and kde-packagers.  And tell us where in KDE it can be
> used.
>
> For example:
> Soprano X.Y is now available.  You can find it in tags/whereever
> Please use this version from now on in KDE trunk.
> The KDE branch should continue using Soprano X-1.
>
> Then, you can go on happily developing in kdesupport.  We will change
> our build scripts to use the version in tags.
>
> Does this make sense?

Actually, no. At least I still do not get it. The way I understand it is this:
Whenever there is a KDE release, be it alpha, beta, or final, we need a
Soprano release as a dependency. So far this has always been the case. KDE
4.0 uses Soprano 2.0 (but can also use 2.1 since its BC), 4.1 is based on
Soprano 2.1 (currently 2.1.1 is the latest stable release, check
soprano.sf.net), and 4.2 will be based on Soprano 2.2 (currently developed in
trunk).
But I don't see why we need a release "just" to build trunk. Thrunk changes
all the time. I have no intention of building snapshots myself all the time.
I have no problem with an automated system for that though. ;)
So, if you want to create a KDE release you will of course get a Soprano
release, too. But before that.... why?

Cheers,
Sebastian