KDE crash manager additions, architecture issues

Wolf S. Kappesser Wolf.St.Kappesser at gmx.de
Wed Oct 8 14:02:48 BST 2008

Hello again, hello all

Brad Hards schrieb:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:29:47 pm Wolf St.Kappesser wrote:
>>  Hello, :)
> Hello Wolf,
>
> Please don't send HTML formatted email to mailing lists.

Hope all seems right now.

>>  I want to add some features to the kde crash manager. The documentation of
>> the kdelib source are quite "rare". Please give me some informations about
>> the internal structure of the kde system and the dependencies to the
>> systemkernel (linux). Please keep in mind the focus to topics and answers
>> related to k crashmanager.
> You haven't really asked a question, or told us what you are trying to do
> (e.g. what kind of features), or what level of background you have, or what
> problems you have, so this is necessarily a bit generic:

Does there a class which implements the crash manager (kcm)?
How it named?
How does interact KDE with the underlying (Linux-)kernel?
How can I encapsulte the kcm to modify it? (see below)
(Want to add some generic and optional sys spec infos to the submitted
email bug report for my convenience)
>  - you should start with Techbase: http://techbase.kde.org/Development
>  - kdelibs is, as the name suggests, a set of libraries. The API documentation
> for those libraries and other parts of KDE is found at http://api.kde.org/
>  - for many parts of KDE, you may have to read the source code to understand
> the functionality and architecture.

Yes I visited techbase. But there no doxyfile or so, I am right? :(
Secondary it is waste of time search the hole code to get complex
structure infos if there is only five+ sentence by a developer needed to
show me things work.
>  - you may be able to do what you are looking for without modifying the
> libraries, using a plugin or special handler. Check for that before getting
> too much into the source (remembering that KDE requires source and binary
> compatibility).

Therefore I can use kplugin or kpart, I am right?

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Best regards
Wolf S. Kappesser