Making kio_http more accessible to RESTful clients

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Mon Oct 6 08:28:52 BST 2008

On Monday 06 October 2008 09:02:19 Josef Spillner wrote:
> At an abstract level, to avoid confusion, my suggestion is to use a naming
> which reflects the difference of storing vs. processing. That is all.

When KIO was designed, back in KDE 2 days, the semantic was that which I
described. There was no REST those days.

And SMTP isn't really a filesystem, so someone chose to implement the sending
of email using the standard "put" operation. You may notice that there's no
"get" for SMTP.

In any case, libkio went mostly untouched for the KDE 4 porting effort. Aside
from the porting to Qt 4 and KDE 4 lower libraries, plus a cleaning up that I
did, nothing happened.

Given that track record, I expect KDE 5's KIO to be exactly like that again.
Mostly because it just works and it isn't "sexy" to touch the I/O internals.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358